Friday, January 16, 2015

Black and Gold Glitter Placement Art Deco Nails that I'm Angry At.

I've had this little bag of gold holographic square glitter sitting on my desk for a little while now, taunting me.  "I'm not that small!", it says. "You can totally start a mani with me now, at 11.45pm, and you'll totally be done by 1am!".  IT'S A LIAR AND I SHOULDN'T LISTEN TO GLITTER.   I was talking to my new friend Antonia and she had the great idea of doing an art deco mani with glitter instead of tape.  See how these two things came together?  Yeah, well, I love the idea and hate the glitter.  And my execution. 

My usual tactic with glitter is to start with three coats of base colour to give myself a nice deep starting point, then lay down stripes of top coat and stick my glitter on.  This bloody glitter is so small that this doesn't work.  You get too thick a base and it just disappears and is generally uneven.  So as well as being so small it sent me cross-eyed, it can't even stay straight.  I had to baby my top coat with the thinnest coats.  This just isn't as crisp as I'd like it to be.  It is sparkly but as soon as I took these photos I wanged my thumb so it's all warped and then broke the corner off my middle nail this morning.  I swear this whole thing is cursed :C





The Verdict:  I like the idea here but my execution sucks and the glitter is just way too small.  I'll try this again with bigger glitter, see if I can't get patterns like this going for a better art deco mani.  Sorry Antonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

XXX